You may select a weighted blanket to sleep better and reduce your anxiety and insomnia. So, take care of your blanket to make it long-lasting.
If you are worried, think about how to fix an unevenly weighted blanket. You can improve your weighted blanket by removing the pellets and other materials to make it comfortable.
- Check the manufacturer's instructions
- Adjust the filling
- Wash and dry the blanket
- Use a fabric steamer
- Use a weighted blanket weighing kit
- Have the blanket professionally repaired
How to Fix an Uneven Weighted Blanket?
If you find any disorder in the weight of the weighted blanket, start to repair the blanket by removing the weight from the blanket and sewing it.
The pellets and other materials make the blanket heavier that distribute the weight evenly all over the blanket. Then, choose the blanket which is suitable for your body.
A weighted blanket is designed to deal with some health issues. Make sure to keep your blanket in good condition to use without worry.
Fixing the Unevenly Weighted Blanket (Simple Ways)
If you find any serious problems with your blanket, fix it without delay. Otherwise, the hole and rip can be increased, and it will not be fit to do its operations like before.
An uneven blanket is not suitable for your health as it doesn’t provide equal pressure across the whole blanket.
If you have a weighted blanket that has become uneven or lopsided, there are a few steps you can take to try to fix it:
Check the manufacturer’s instructions
Some weighted blankets come with specific care instructions, so it’s worth checking to see if the manufacturer has any guidance on how to fix an uneven blanket.
Adjust the filling
If the blanket has become uneven due to shifting of the filling, you may be able to redistribute the filling to balance out the weight. You can do this by gently shaking the blanket to move the filling around or by unzipping the cover and redistributing the filling manually.
Wash and dry the blanket
If the blanket has become uneven due to clumps forming in the filling, you may be able to fix it by washing and drying the blanket. This can help to break up any clumps and redistribute the filling more evenly.
Use a fabric steamer
If the blanket has become uneven due to creases or wrinkles, you may be able to fix it by using a fabric steamer to smooth out the wrinkles.
Use a weighted blanket weighing kit
If you’re unable to fix the blanket on your own, you may be able to purchase a weighted blanket weighing kit to help you balance out the weight distribution. These kits typically come with an additional filling that you can add to the blanket to balance the weight.
Have the blanket professionally repaired
If none of these options work, you may need to have the blanket professionally repaired. You can contact the manufacturer or a local seamstress to see if they offer this service.
It’s worth noting that fixing an unevenly weighted blanket may take some trial and error, and you may need to try a combination of the above methods to achieve the desired result.
How Are Weighted Blankets Made?
The weighted blanket is manufactured using artificial fillers evenly, such as beads and pellets, to fill the blanket and provide a warm vibe. In addition, they keep a little space for moving airflow.
Cotton or Tencel fabric is breathable and provides warmth as it covers the fillers. It is generally used at a cozy temperature to give you the ultimate warmth and promise to prevent sleep disorders such as sleep paralysis, insomnia, sleep apnea, etc.
Which Stitch Should You Use While Repairing the Weighted Blanket?
You can do the following stitching style to fix your weighted blanket if it needs any repairing.
You can do a whip stitch by using your hand on the fabric of your blanket. Don’t start the sewing from the front side; make sure to sew the edges of your blanket twice. Make sure to keep spaces about ½ inch.
You can do a running stitch if you repair your weighted blanket with your hand. You can shut the edges of your blanket if you sew it, and make sure to start sewing from the back side. Do a small stitch by maintaining the space of ⅛ or ¼ inch long.
Why Does Your Weighted Blanket Become Uneven?
The main reason for an unevenly weighted blanket is improper weight distribution. So, for the following reasons, your weighted blanket becomes uneven:
- Suppose your blanket is not correctly filled with pellets. In that case, it can cause empty spaces on the blanket, leading to improper weight distribution. For this reason, the blanket will move if anyone is sleeping using this weighted blanket.
- Choose the blanket according to the person’s weight. Otherwise, the blanket may seem uneven to you, and it can be too thin or too heavy for your weight, raising many health issues.
The blanket can be underneath you for uneven weight distribution while sleeping.
What Happens if You Use an Unevenly Weighted Blanket?
The unevenly weighted blankets can’t control the nerves of your body. It will not help to release the oxytocin, serotonin, and dopamine hormones required for comfort.
The heavy blanket can cause aches, pains, and joint compression in your body since the weighted blanket is used to find relief from stress and anxiety.
Tips for Fixing the Weighted Blanket
- Before starting to repair your blanket, make sure to wash it.
- After fixing the blanket, ensure the weight matches your body’s requirements.
- Only fix those tears and rip, which is easy for you to reach.
- You will not be able to fix the holes in your blanket as it is already worn.
- If you repair the holes in your blanket, then it may cause to reduce the weight of your blanket. So, it can be harmful to you.
Suppose you are still confused about how to fix unevenly weighted blankets, the repairing process of a weighted blanket! Then in this article, you can acknowledge how to fix it:
- If you find any disorder in the weight of the weighted blanket, start to repair the blanket by removing the weight from the blanket and sewing it.
- The pellets and other materials make the blanket heavier that distribute the weight evenly all over the blanket.
- Choose a blanket that is suitable for your body.
- A weighted blanket is designed to deal with some health issues.
- Make sure to keep your blanket in good condition to use without worry.
Finally, now you know how to deal with the unevenly weighted blanket and why it happens.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it Ok to sleep with a weighted blanket every night?
A weighted blanket is safe to use every night, but it is not for everyone. For example, it is forbidden to use for a child under two years and some asthma, diabetes, claustrophobia, and low-pressure patients.
2. Can you tuck in a weighted blanket?
If your child is using a child-weighted blanket, make sure that it is comfortable for them as they can move freely. So, it is acceptable to tuck in a weighted blanket.
3. Why shouldn’t you get a weighted blanket?
A weighted blanket can be harmful to some people who are affected by various illnesses. They are:
- Chronic respiratory issues
- 2 type diabetes
- Low blood pressure
4. What are the side effects of a weighted blanket?
You can have the following problems as the side effect of your weighted blanket:
- It can cause sleep apnea which can lead to disorders in breathing.
- It can make you an asthma patient.
- The tightness of the weighted blanket can develop claustrophobia.
5. Is a 20lb weighted blanket too heavy?
Generally, 12 to 20-lb weighted blankets are suitable for adults. So, 20 lb is not too heavy, but it depends on each person’s body weight requirement.
Rahik has experience writing professional blogs, particularly about home appliances. As an undergraduate tutor, Rahik taught undergraduate students academic writing before becoming a professional writer.