If you’re trying to reach those hard-to-clean corners of your home, you may be wondering: can you use an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner?
It’s a common question that many people have, especially if their vacuum doesn’t reach far enough or if they don’t have outlets near their cleaning area.
While it’s certainly possible to use an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure that you’re using it safely and effectively.
In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of using an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner, as well as offer some tips on how to do it safely.
So, if you’re wondering whether you can extend your vacuum’s reach with an extension cord, read on to find out!
Can You Use an Extension Cord With a Vacuum Cleaner?
Yes, it is generally possible to use an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner. However, it is important to consider the size and capacity of the extension cord and the vacuum cleaner, as well as the length and location of the cord.
Before using an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner, make sure that the extension cord is rated for the wattage and amperage of the vacuum.
It is also a good idea to use a heavy-duty extension cord, as vacuum cleaners can draw a lot of power and may require a cord with a higher capacity.
It is also important to consider the length of the extension cord and the location of the outlets and the vacuum. Using a long extension cord can increase the risk of tripping or stumbling, especially if the cord is placed in high-traffic areas.
It is generally a good idea to use the shortest extension cord possible and to avoid using an extension cord if there is an outlet nearby.
Finally, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions when using an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner, including avoiding using frayed or damaged cords and unplugging the vacuum when not in use.
If in doubt, it is always a good idea to consult with a professional or follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Benefits of Extension Cords With a Vacuum Cleaner
Extension cords have advantages if you use them with a vacuum cleaner.
- You can quickly clean the large area by using an extension cord.
- If the power supply is not near your vacuuming space, you can use extension cords to clean the far areas.
- It saves time as you don’t need to pause and take a moment to plug and unplug.
Why Should You Use an Extension Cord With a Vacuum Cleaner?
Generally, a vacuum cleaner demands ten amps of electricity. If you want to use an extension cord with the vacuum cleaner, make sure that you choose compatible amps cords such as it can be equal to or more than the vacuum cleaner’s amps.
Choose the medium-rated short extension cords, which have 13 amps of electricity. The long extension cords can reduce the power supply of your vacuum cleaner, and low-rated cords can cause a fire.
A vacuum cleaner will remain fine and work effectively if you choose the medium-rated short extension cords.
How to Safely Use an Extension Cord With a Vacuum Cleaner?
You can safely use an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner if you know how to use this cord with the vacuum cleaner accurately. So, follow some guidelines to stay safe and avoid danger-
- Choose the extension cords manufactured for outdoor use and select the heavy-duty ratings to have the thicker insulation.
- Don’t use any damaged cords that the aluminum is coming off.
- Don’t use multiple cords simultaneously as it has dangerous circumstances.
- Before starting to use it, unroll the coil of the extension cords properly.
- Use the straight extension cords to avoid damage to the cord.
- Use a compatible amperage rating extension cord for your vacuum cleaner.
- The short extension cords are suitable for a vacuum cleaner as they can supply 13 to 15 amps of electricity.
- After every use, don’t forget to unplug the extension cord from the vacuum cleaner and outlet.
- Make a coil of the cords and store it after each use.
- Use the extension cords that have lights to ensure the power supply level.
Check the video to understand more clearly how to use a vacuum cleaner safely-
Dangerous Facts Using the Extension Cords With a Vacuum Cleaner?
As the cord operates with the help of electricity, it may have risks to use. For example, if you don’t follow awareness, you can face several dangers while using the extension with a vacuum cleaner.
- If you don’t keep the extension cord from the brush and the parts of the vacuum cleaner, it can mistakenly wrap the vacuum cleaner’s brush roll; that time, the cord can be overheated and develop a fire.
- Sparks can happen when you cannot plug the cords into the outlet. If any flammable material is near your vacuum cleaner, then an accident can happen.
- Ensure to ground the cord; otherwise, it can shock you and make your vacuum cleaner’s motor overheat, which can cause a fire.
- Use the appropriate amperage cord for your vacuum cleaner. If the cord’s amperage rate does not suit the vacuum cleaner, it can cause danger.
- Don’t use any long extension cords as it needs more electric supplies.
- Don’t plug the cord if you are not using the vacuum cleaner, as it can cause much damage.
Can You Use More Than One Extension Cord With a Vacuum Cleaner?
Using more than one extension cord is not a good idea as it can reduce the power and effectiveness of the vacuum cleaner. Therefore, always try to use one extension for your vacuum cleaner.
A canister or upright vacuum cleaner is used to clean large spaces, so they need long cords. For these two vacuum cleaners, you can use two extension cords.
Where handheld vacuum cleaner is not allowed to use any extension cord, it is hazardous for the handheld vacuum to operate the cords as they are manufactured with less power.
Best Extension Cords For Vacuum Cleaners
These are the most popular extension cords for using with a vacuum cleaner-
- UltraPro 15 Ft Extension Cord
- Cable Matters 16 AWG Heavy Duty Extension Cord
- GE 10 Ft Extension Cord
Tips for Using an Extension Cord With a Vacuum Cleaner
- Ensure the suitable wattage extension cord for your vacuum cleaner.
- After plugging the extension cord into the outlet, plug the vacuum cleaner into the extension order.
- After unplugging the extension cord from the outlet, unplug the vacuum cleaner that is good for both the extension cord and vacuum cleaner.
If you are still wondering, can you use an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner, benefits, and dangers! Then you can quickly find out the answer in this article.
- When your vacuum cleaner has a separate power cord, you can use an extension with a vacuum cleaner.
- Choose a suitable amperage cord for your vacuum cleaner.
- Besides, select the shorter cords for the vacuum cleaner to avoid any potential disorder.
- Stay cautious when using the extension cord with a vacuum cleaner; otherwise, an explosion can happen.
So, now you know how and why you can use an extension cord with a vacuum cleaner.
Frequently Asked Questions
What gauge extension cord do you need for a vacuum?
You may need a 10 to 12-gauge extension cord for a vacuum.
Can you plug the vacuum into surge protectors?
It is not advisable to plug your vacuum into surge protectors. As a vacuum has a motor, it does not get any advantages from these protectors.
What is the difference between an extension cord and a power strip?
The main difference is that the power strip can supply electricity to different appliances, whereas the extension cord provides it to an individual machine.
Can you use an extension cord with a wet/dry vacuum?
Yes, you can use it. But It can drop the voltage and make the cord heated.
How long can you run a vacuum cleaner?
You can run the vacuum cleaners for 30 to 60 minutes each specific time to ensure the safety of your vacuum cleaner.
Rahik has experience writing professional blogs, particularly about home appliances. As an undergraduate tutor, Rahik taught undergraduate students academic writing before becoming a professional writer.